European Journal of Experimental Biology Open Access

  • ISSN: 2248-9215
  • Journal h-index: 45
  • Journal CiteScore: 34.35
  • Average acceptance to publication time (5-7 days)
  • Average article processing time (30-45 days) Less than 5 volumes 30 days
    8 - 9 volumes 40 days
    10 and more volumes 45 days
Reach us +32 25889658


The correlation of coronary artery involvement extent with white blood cell count in hospitalized patients

Mir Hossein Seyyed Mohammadzadeh, Hamid Reza Farrokh-Eslamloo, Kamal Khadem Vatan, Peyman Mikaili, Mohammad Hossein Asghari, Golshan Fahimi

Coronary artery disease was the leading death cause among both American women and men in 2003. Every 2 seconds, one person is affected by coronary artery events, while another one dies almost every minute from heart conditions. Cardiovascular diseases are the most common death causes among persons of 35 year olds in Iran. The percentage of death rate attributed to the cardiovascular diseases has increased from 26.6% in 1981 to 43.3% in 1996.There are numerous ways to examine patients with coronary artery involvement, e.g. angiography of coronary artery. A study of the relationship between white blood cell count (WBC) and coronary artery involvement may result in a quick and easy understanding of the coronary artery involvement in the hospitalized patients. In a sectional retrospective study, 385 patients were randomly selected from those cases, who underwent angiography of coronary artery in 2007. Then, the information concerning coronary artery involvement, the angiography results, and the experiments carried out prior to the angiography including the white blood cell counts recorded in the patients files were included the questionnaires, which had been provided in advance. After collecting the data, they were entered in the computer and they were statistically analyzed. Of 385 patients examined, 108 cases (46.75%) had an open coronary artery, 88 cases (22.85%) had a single vessel disease and 189 cases (49.09%) had more than a single vessel disease. The WBCs of 316 patients (82.1%) were 4,000-10,000 and the rest 69 cases (17.9%) were >10,000. The increase in the number of leukocytes, lymphocytes and PMNs is significantly correlated with the level of coronary artery involvement. However, no significant correlation was found between the percentages of eosinophils and monocytes and the level of coronary artery involvement. Consequently, the white blood cell count can be used as a simple, useful means of categorizing the patients for the purpose of treatment type and taking into a count the possible dangers.